Sunday, January 30, 2005

Internet Living

This morning I'm finding myself in an internet dialogue with a good friend about how the internet is changing our world...This very good sistah friend I met online more than 5 years ago. We meet at a board, predominantly women, international members but mainly U.S. and Canada and the U.K. who all found the board as a result of being very deeply moved by a book (which will remain unidentified).  This particularly site grew and grew, women gathered and met in person, long distance friendships formed, we traded recipes, politics, religions, our interests, we laughed, got pissed off and on, laughed somemore, gathered somemore, raised eyebrows at one another, hugged one another, and some even married one another...then the dreaded movie came out and the membership grew rapidly, we had a presidential election, 9/11, war, and the divisions across the country where reflected on the board...I eventually left that site over a year ago and haven't looked back...BUT, the friends, and I don't mean internet friends, but a small group of women who are in the sistah friend catergory, I met there...We are all very different, we have our disagreements, live in different states, have different family structures, incomes, neighborhoods, faiths, etc. And we are tight.  I would rather have these women defending me over Johnny Cochran! So you got the point.



The friend I'm dialoguing with has just started a blog and I got thrilled to peaches...now grant it, we already IM, have our own private board, write letters, call, etc. but the blog was like YES! another convert to the blog world and someone I love that I will be able to know whats going on with her. lol...I wrote to her this morning that I now prefer to read blogs like I use to with online news sources simple because I prefer (for my own well being) to read about the happenings of others in this world we all share than to feel like my conscious is a ping pong ball between mainstream media and the alternate press who is so busy trying to counterpoint the spins that they have become too reactionary.  Oh, I still keep up just not the news junkie I once was...The Cult of the Bushit has worn me thin and this has been unlike anything I've ever experienced since becoming a news junkie since my mid-teens.  Blog reading is more personable, comfortable, than any other source of information for me right along through here.  Maybe when the war is over, maybe after the next major election,...maybe...maybe.



But for a really good blog entry on internet friends check out Lucious & Uppity's entry dated January 27 2005



1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, Karoda. I enjoy blog reading more than I have anything in a long time (particularly since I'm not able to access ezboard anymore). Two colleagues of mine got me into it a couple of months ago, and the organization we work for has a listing of the blogs of all its employees. We are able to talk about our work in ministry, exchange ideas, start new ones and just stay connected with one another in general. I feel much more educated and aware keeping up with the blogs of my colleagues and following the links on their blogs. I've always admired you and your sistah friends...what you have is unique and wonderful (I know the movie, too, btw!)...such deep connections are rare...continue investing in those friendships of the heart. But I know I don't even have to tell you that!
    Peace...

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...