Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I'm Jazzed!

What a way to kick off the year!  I enrolled in Melody Johnson's 3 day workshop!  I could hardly focus...heck, I didn't focus at work and I know I will pay for it next week plus I'll be off 3 days.  I had almost talked myself out of it and then it hit me and without hesitation it was a done deal!  I need to get some wonder under tomorrow.  I'm hoping Forget-Me-Knots carries it.  This will be my 2nd workshop with a professional.  My first was last March with Juanita on fabric dyeing.  Now that this is done...I need to think about  going to AQS and the design symposium in July, (God willing and the creek don't rise ;)  although the Ohio River is flooding so scratch that saying)



The other cool thing that happened today was a co-worker who facilitates a Spanish speaking support group for women survivors who live in the rural counties asked if I would be interesting in teaching them to make a group quilt project.  I immediately thought of a quilt artist who lives in Paducah who has written a quilting instructional book in Spanish and wondered if she would be interested in doing this. I need to find her name, she occasionally posts on the QA list...I really think it would be something that KFW would be interested in funding as well as the KAC.   The problem is the group only meet for 90 minutes once a week and it would be pushing it to run a workshop in that short of a time.   And Paducah is too far away for someone to make that drive every week.  The Latina women have been meeting for 8 years and it is much a social function to decrease the isolation for them as it is a forum to address their daily experiences.  Alex, who was the best interpreter, no longer interprets but she might consider coming just for this since she makes funki-fied quilts. 



I don't know if I'm ready to teach quilting...I guess I could give it a try...it might be good ground...and it keeps me open to the journey, eh?!  Will have to park this idea and let it simmer.



2 comments:

  1. Are you thinking of Esterita Austin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was going to drive me crazy so I found the artist I was thinking of...her name is Aynex Mercado. She lives in Paducah as part of the Artist Relocation Program.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...