Saturday, January 29, 2005

Visual Poetry

Mudman, aka Dirty Boy, aka Guru, aka my brother started out being enamored with sketching...which evolved into airbrushing (back in the 80's) and having an interest in graphics...I was the poet having discovered the poetry of the 60's as an outlet for my teen age perceptions (in the 70s), it was the first sense that I had "found my people"...from here I evolved into reading my original poetry in public venues (back in the 80's) to performance poetry with other women forming a group called Voices in the Wind...enjoyed a few inclusions in small distributed anthologies...well  separate streams of life (or something like it) happened to Mudman and me and we've switched souls or something...he is one prolific poet and some of it good to great! no really, I'm not just saying that for the obvious reasons (well maybe a little bit)...I think he would make an excellent blogger and hope to entice him real soon.  I'll share some of his work in the future...but I can't compose a poem to save my soul these days...but phrases come in patches, so finding this site: OneWord seems to fit what I can handle...the word today was "ocean" and here is what I wrote in 60 seconds without thinking-blue roams over me and i gulp gasp foam and this is life in a nanosecond each and everyday  after i wrote it, i asked 'how would that look in a quilt design? how can i create visual poetry?' ...been thinking how to weave words in quilt design without the obvious use of lettering...my goal today is to snatch sketches in 60 seconds with the ocean phrase in mind.



hangeth in



5 comments:

  1. this was great! Sometimes all you need is ONE word...I haven't written in I don't know how long...but this is a great exercise.
    Peace,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its one L! hi there! and you have a blog! great! will be checking on you often! i gotta go...but i'll be back later on and pop over to your place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, shoot, girl...maybe I shouldn't post any more entries till you've had a chance to get caught up! ;-) I added you as a link...hope you don't mind. Thanks for stoppin' through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. shooo, girl, i know you cannot not write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karoda,
    I love reading your musings and your poetry. The librarian in me (and the fact that I'm married to a poet) wants to send you to books about a writer/artist who designed poetry and things--rocks, gardens, words...His name is Ian Hamilton Findlay, British, 20th century. If you can't find him, let me know and I'll send some samples.
    Also, thanks for posting comments on my blog. You are the only one--ever!!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...