Tuesday, April 12, 2005

nappy girl's works in progress

This morning is a little rough. I slept with the oxygen (I wonder if anyone has ever strangled themselves with the tube in their sleep?) but I'm really fatigued this morning.  I feel like my flesh is just going to slide right off leaving me a carcass sitting right here at the computer.  One of my favorite sayings in reference to myself is "nappy girl gon' be alright"...but today nappy girl is just tahed...not tired...but tahed.  Those jokes about being an old soul have caught up with me.  Speaking of which I'm having dinner this Friday with my closest and dearest beloved friend Mary.  We go waaaayyyy back but seldom see one another any more.  We are Nel and Sula...so between telepathy and telephone we stay in touch but it will be awesome to see her!



Here are the wips pics that I promised...input welcomed and encouraged.  Oh, I've decided that it will be no beads on the previous quilt.  Thanks everyone for the comments!



Dscn0473 I'm thinking about adding side panels either with the stripes in different scales or adding circles.











Dscn0476 This is the beginning of the My Vagina quilt.











Dscn0469



This is working off a sketch I did. There will be much more added to it, but after I got this far it made me think of the only sci-fi book I've read, Kindred by Octavia Butler. 















4 comments:

  1. Nice! I'm really diggin' the middle and right ones. I'm really interested in seeing where you go with the middle one.
    And I know what you mean by "tahed", lol. I came home from work and practically passed out yesterday. Hope you feel better. BTW, I LOVED Kindred. Octavia's an incredible writer. Also, Sula is my favorite Toni Morrison novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I can relate to "tahed"! (Love it. Reminds me of home, and my father's family.) I also need a personal pick-me-up phrase... to tell myself it's gon' be alright. Love your stuff too, and the vibrant colors you use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree about the 'tahed.
    And I love the "My Vagina" quilt that you've started, excellent shapes, and the colors are perfect. There was an exhibit of vagina quilts at PIQF last year, it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to see your WIPs--and I'm glad to know that you are finding the creative energy to make something new. Hope it is filling and healing you. The colors are wonderful. Stripes and columns are solid and matter of fact. The Circles and squiggles remind me of the great art in kids' books, full of life afirming energy. But the Vagina quilt--wow! Something powerful and wonderful is going on here. Can't wait to see how they all grow--and how they heal the quilter, too.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...