Friday, April 22, 2005

News can sometimes bring the blues.

This newspaper story leaves me weepy this morning.  And let me ask you to take this same situation and think of a woman who is being battered and abused and afraid to report it to the authorities...and think of whether the domestic violence shelter that serves your area does outreach to immigrant communities. Fortunately, shelters are protected by client priviledge and INS cannot just do clean sweeps of shelters.  Where I work we have a very active immigrant outreach with a position being dedicated for an immigrant attorney (who started out being my quilting buddy but had to let it go due to her overwhelming intense schedule and new marriage). 



Today I'll be seeing Juanita, art quilt mentor guru extraordinaire!  Hopefully she'll be blogging with us soon! 



3 comments:

  1. Man that is so sad. What a choice to have to make. Possible deportation vs. finding your missing daughter. Sheesh. And then our wonderful California governor Arnold says we need to "Close the Border". And retracts it the next day. Messed Up is how I would describe the whole immigration thing. Especially with the whole "minuteman" thing going on too where civilians are arming themselves and patrolling the border. Very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very sad story. Think of all the ones we don't hear about. Today was the first day that I've read the paper or listened to an entire news broadcast for about a week. It's all bad. I think "what country do I live in, what state do I live in?" I feel so depressed about what the governmental attitude of this country has turned into. I hope that your quilting friend helped brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The news can be so depressing. I am glad that those parents found their daughter. Theirs may be uncertain, but so many other parents don't have such a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete

Swatching it!

Well, well, well...look who is swatching!  The plan (here goes...) is to knit my grand daughter a sweater.  This will be my first knitted ...